What does a healthy disciple of Jesus Christ look like? What kind of spiritual habits does he or she form? From God’s perspective, what is normal Christian behavior? These are some of the questions that we’re exploring in our new series, 5 Marks of a Healthy Disciple.
Many Christians are doing their best to follow Jesus, but they lack a clear picture of what a disciple ought to look like. How often should I be praying and reading my Bible? How do I tell others about what God has done in my life? What gifts has God given me to use for His kingdom, and how can I learn how to use them daily? Maybe you have found yourself asking questions like these as you journey with Jesus. In 5 Marks of a Healthy Disciple, we will explore these questions together as we seek to follow Jesus well.
The 5 Marks of a Healthy Disciple are these:
1. A disciple cultivates a relationship with God by spending time in Scripture and prayer;
2. A disciple proclaims God’s grace by sharing the story of what He has done for them;
3. A disciple knows their spiritual gifts and uses them daily;
4. A disciple demonstrates the fruit of the Spirit;
5. A disciple stewards God’s assets for the advancement of the Kingdom.
The 5 Marks series is a bit different. In fact, it’s a series of several mini-series. Pastors Yogi and Andy believe that this is vital for the corporate life of Hope Church, as well as for the lives of the individuals and families that comprise it. To that end, we will be taking our time with these 5 marks. We cannot hurry past the process of discipleship, and each of us will greatly benefit from pressing into these five things as we work through them together.